Switching over to the new Timeline will, unfortunately, undo any privacy settings you already have so you will need to do these again. That way, you can control who sees what on your profile page. You will, however, have time to make these changes on your new Timeline before it becomes visible to friends.
How can I change my privacy settings?
On your Facebook newsfeed page, there is a drop down arrow in the top right-hand corner next to ‘Home’. Click on the arrow and then select Privacy Settings.
Under privacy settings you can:
- control who can find you, contact you and post on your wall
- control who sees what (under Custom)
- control tags from friends – so you can review them before they go on your timeline
- limit the audience for Past Posts
- block certain people from being your friend or interacting with you. This is helpful to know if somebody is cyber bullying you or making you feel uncomfortable
· Instead of posting a photo of you, you could use a picture you like or a photo of your favourite band instead.
· Don't post any photos or videos that you wouldn't be happy for your parents, carers or teacher to see. Once they are up online they can be copied and posted in other places where you can't get rid of them.
· Try and avoid choosing photos that can easily identify you e.g. ones that contain your school name, school badge, sports club or home address.